Thursday, September 14, 2023

Our Dystopian World.

 By Craig: I write, read and run. Most of my reading and writing material is historical. I am really not into this century. In fact, this century, which had so much promise in the last century is a huge disappointment. They can't handle it. We are now almost a quarter of the way through this century and our civilization seems to be in decline. I am not surprised. People are spoon fed too much information. It is information overload. Most of it is not real. What is real, is often distorted or not factual. I don't watch the news. If I wanted to watch propaganda, on news networks like CNN, FOX or MSNBC I would watch old dystopian science fiction movies. We still live in a tribal society. Despite advancements in technology, not much has changed since the days of Nero fiddling while Rome burned. People are still angry and mad and violent. 

Sometimes I feel as if I were meant to live my life on the little white sailboat in Thomas Cole's painting The Titan's Goblet. I could sail around all day, and at night, live on the perimeter of that world in the small house in the background. Beyond my little world would be the world of everyone else. I might hear noise from down below. The rabble fighting and killing each other. Then, for a while, there would be silence. Then it would start all over again. The process repeating itself over and over and over until one day the Earth overheated and the noise would finally cease. The Earth would groan and mumble at this minor inconvenience called humankind but finally it would belch, and it would become free. 

Sometimes I feel like Washington Irving. I'll stand behind a bush in a garden and watch a garden party but not take part. I am an observer. Nothing more, nothing less. Besides my novel writing (which hardly anyone reads) I spend my time hustling for money to pay for my son's college and playing Immaculate Grid (Does anyone remember Kevin Stacom?) I recently celebrated my 55th birthday. Where is life taking me? The caption under my High School yearbook photo says "I'm on my way. I know not where." 37 years later I still don't know. Where is this blog post going? I don't know...



No comments:

Post a Comment