Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Existentialism of Sports

Most people are good at some sport. It might be a team sport such as football, rugby, or ice hockey. It might be an individual sport such as running or cycling (although these sports also have teams.) My sport is long distance running. I enjoy it. In a more remote time I ran competitively. Not so much now as I am almost 44 years old and prone to injuries. In fact, as I write this post I am recuperating from a calf strain in my right leg. Thankfully it is a minor one and will only put me out for a few days. I was doing speed work at the track. My first half mile was finished in 3:06. but than I felt the pain in my leg and knew it was over. Oh well...such as it is...I will probably be doing more cycling as I get better. I have always wondered why people get into sports even if it is merely as a spectator and not a particapant. I believe that it has to do with the competitive nature of people. The nature of human kind is to succeed and triumph. No one wants to lose, however, the reality is that all of us will lose at some point in their lives...and all of us will one day become victimized by times linear journey.

                                                       Coseley Cricket Club

      My great-great grandfather W.S. Hipkins was a professional cricket player. He played for the Dudley club, and later was a manager for the Coseley Cricket Club. This was back in the 1880s when England was involved in a brutal war in the Sudan and jingoism was the flavor of the day. One day during the summer of 1884 a challenge was made and The Dudley club met Wolverhampton on it's own turf and spanked the visiting team 94-55. At the time, this match was probably the talk of the day... heroes were elevated to worship-like status (at least as far as the Dudley team was concerned) but what about now? Does anyone remember this match today? All of the particapants along with all of the spectators have been mouldering in their graves for decades...All the hype before and after the match has been disseminated with the wind. What is left? A few stats in the record books...A few lingering photographs of people clinging to immortality the only way that they possibly can? There is an existential aspect of sports that when one ponders over it makes the whole concept of competition a moot point. What difference does it make if Lance Armstrong and his little yellow jersey wins 7 Tour de France'? or the Boston Red Sox win this years World Series? Someone else will come along next year and make last years results a thing of the past. I guess that this is the way things work...todays winner is tomorrows loser. Today...I am a loser...a lame man...yesterdays winner seeking immortality...a concept never to be gained... through a competitive spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment