Saturday, June 16, 2012

Modern Television: Reality TV & the Dumbing Down of Society

Since I started using a Keurig one-cup coffee maker I have begun to experiment with different types of coffee. I have even tried different flavors. In this modern age we have become spoiled with the number of products that are available to us. When I was a child there were three television networks that we could receive: ABC, NBC and CBS, sometimes we were able to get PBS. We had a small black and white television with rabbit ears. The dial had broken off at some point, so that in order to switch the station we had to use a pair of pliers that conveniently sat next to the television set...sort of like an early remote control. These days there is no limit as to how many television stations are out there...although...insidiously... one must pay for them now...like one must pay top dollar for their water...and soon ...we will be paying for air. I quit paying for cable television since I never watch TV anyway. The only thing that you can find on television these days is Reality TV. Usually this involves some inane plot like two families swapping spouses or some other nonsensical thing. Other shows that the dumbed down American populace enjoy are cop shows; NYPD...LAPD....CSIPD... BULLSHITPD...These shows usually involve some would be hero, square jawed, dark haired, male cop, and his ass kicking, judo champion, skinny, female partner spreading their obnoxious morality onto everyone else. Watching crap like this makes me want to smoke a cigarette...and I have never smoked before. Remember...after watching one of these shows, you will never get that hour of your life back. I use to enjoy the History Channel back when I had cable TV. That was until they started filling up their prime time slots with stuff like Ice Road Truckers...no thanks!...I'll go read a book. But hey, if cop shows and reality TV is your thing that is fine. I get enough reality every day without watching Dog the Bounty Hunter kick down somebody's front door and deliver some crack-head a dose of pathetic, hypocritical American justice. Oh well...Enough of this rant...almost written in a stream of consiousness...I'll sign off for now.



1 comment: